I guess it's true that a great football team deserves a great marching band. There are several reasons why I LOVE this picture.
First of all is the sheer size of the band. There are what, 400, 450, more? band members? It boggles my mind to think of them all in perfect formation - it's epic! I watched a YouTube video with these guys marching and thought I was going to cry with the sheer perfection of it. Then I watched the Purdue band at halftime at the Purdue-Notre Dame game, and OMG. Absolutely Amazing!
Then, in a band this size, there is the discipline of knowing exactly where you are in relationship to the person next to you, behind you and in front of you. It may seem obvious, but you can't be in formation without knowing this! Look at the perfectly straight lines they form - and they're perpendicular to the football field hash marks, so they're are going by their own internal navigation.
Next, I love their uniforms - very subdued for a marching band, don't you think? Yet the overall effect contributes to them functioning as one unit. No dancing girls in skimpy outfits here! Lol. I think it takes guts for a marching band to wear white shoes - you can really tell the missteps (not that I saw any, of course) when the shoes flashing by are white.
I'm going to try to get a band director to give me an interview to write about here so that I can get a professional opinion. I'm strictly an amateur when it comes to the technical aspects and I'm sure a band director could really give some good pointers on great bands like the Band of the Fighting Irish, don't you think?
Let me know in the comments what your favorite band is to watch, either live or on video.
No comments:
Post a Comment